Stevens understands there’s a lot that goes into moving. Whether you’re buying, selling, or looking for a temporary home, we understand you have a lot on your plate. At Stevens, we take pride in doing the heavy lifting so you don’t have to!
More than a century of moving families has taught us there are some best practices that apply to everyone when it comes time to move. Our Moving Guide is a quick reference and project timeline to ensure important items, and sometimes overlooked items, are taken care of and not left until the 11th hour – or worse, forgotten.
Please feel free to download our Moving Checklist as a quick reference guide to your move and visit our Packing Tips and Moving Checklist pages for additional information and moving resources.
Moving thousands of families each year has given Stevens an understanding of what works best for our customers, which is why we recommend you prepare for your move in stages. Completing necessary tasks in phases allows you to maintain daily life and ensures the important details involved in moving are taken care of.
Things to consider 8-12 weeks before you move:
- If your company is moving you, verify what moving expenses are covered.
- Contact a Stevens Representative for a moving quote.
- Establish tentative dates for your move.
- Arrange to sell your home.
- Make arrangements to buy or rent in your new community.
Congratulations, you’re just weeks away from moving with Stevens Worldwide Van Lines! By now you should have the following items in place:
- Your move is scheduled with Stevens.
- You have selected a tentative move date.
- You are in the process of selling your home, or finalizing move-out details for your rental.
- Living arrangements in your new community are in their final stages.
It’s time to start planning for the next phase of the moving process. Things you should consider 6-8 weeks prior to your move include:
- Sort those items you do not plan to move. Make plans for selling them or donating them to charity.
- Identify and separate items to be moved by Stevens.
- Finalize your living arrangements, including insurance and finances.
- Establish a bank account in your new community.
- Assess job opportunities for your spouse or children.
- Contact the IRS or your accountant for forms and information regarding tax-deductible moving expenses.
- If you have high value or unusual items that you expect to ship, obtain an appraisal and gather receipts.
Time is flying by, and your move is within sight. Now is the time to concentrate on the details of your move and your new home. Things you should consider 4-6 weeks prior to your move are:
- Finalize pickup and delivery dates with Stevens Worldwide Van Lines. If you need storage, make arrangements with Stevens now.
- Read Stevens’ Packing Tips, if you plan to pack yourself.
- Visit www.usps.com to notify the postal service of your new address and send change-of-address cards to friends, relatives and periodicals.
- Arrange for utilities, repairs and installations in your new home.
- Obtain forms for transferring driver’s license(s) and applying for credit.
- Contact your doctor, dentist and veterinary offices for referrals and to obtain important records to take with you.
You’ve got a lot on your plate and a lot on your mind – here’s a list of items that you’ll need to take care of soon for your move:
- If you are doing your own packing, start now.
- Make travel arrangements, including interim hotel reservations and car rental.
- Return library books and anything borrowed from friends or neighbors.
- Relax! Take the family for a farewell drive to some of the places you’ve loved. Have a “going away” party for the kids and their friends.
- Take care of bills, stocks, and investments.
- Take pet(s) to the veterinarian for immunization and get a copy of their records for your new veterinarian.
- Transfer all bank accounts.
- Drain oil and gasoline from power equipment.
- Have your car serviced before the trip.
Soon you’ll be in your new home! The week before you move is sure to be busy. Keeping on track with your move plan is essential to this last week being as stress-free as possible. Items you’ll need to take care of this week include:
- Transfer your prescriptions.
- Arrange for delivery services to be discontinued, such as newspapers, etc.
- Start gathering those items to take with you in your car.
- Pack your luggage.
- Defrost and dry refrigerator and freezer to be moved.
- Obtain necessary cash for trip expenses.
Your Stevens Relocation Consultant will be in close contact with you in the days leading up to your move. If you have any questions, please be sure to let your Relocation Consultant know.
Stevens offers some suggestions of what you may need to pack and take with you as you travel to your new home. These items may differ depending on the length of your trip, how you are traveling and whether you have small children and pets.
- Suitcases and change of clothing
- Prescriptions and medical records
- Moving paperwork
- Credit cards, cash
- House and car keys
- Irreplaceable items, valuables
- Kids’ toys
- Pre-moistened towels
- Drinking water & beverages
- Pet food and dishes
- Blankets and pillows
- First-aid kit
- Photo identification
- Car registration, proof of insurance
If you have any questions about your move please be sure to contact your Stevens Relocation Consultant.
In addition to our Moving Guide, please feel free to download our Moving Checklist as a quick reference guide to your move and visit our Packing Tips page for additional information and moving resources.